Saturday, July 19, 2014

Midyear Makeup Wrap Up!


Even though you haven't heard from me in 3 months, doesn't mean I haven't been shopping.  I actually didn't in May and most of June.  End of the school activities and book fairs increased my volunteer hours big time.  It was like I had a full time job!  I did give myself a free pass while on vacation.

So I was thinking that since I waited until the end of 2013 to evaluate my beauty spending habits, I thought I would start a little earlier this year to hopefully steer myself in the right direction if I have been off track.

Let's see how I am doing, shall we?

1.  Concealers:

I still have the 9 that I started out with at the beginning of the year.  I have a quarter left in both Fit Me concealers in Light and Fair.  I would like to finish those by the end of the year as well as the Rimmel and Bobbi Brown Corrector.  Oh and actually open the Revlon DNA.  It's still in the package.  (Face palm.)

2.  Eyeliners:

I have pitched 2 or 3 and bought a new brown liner from AVON.  I also bought a new brow liner.  The thing with these eyeliners that most are 2-3 years old, except for the 4 liquid liners, 3 eyeshadow pencils and the 4 eyeliners I bought last year.  That being said, at the end of this year, most of these have to go unfortunately.  So I will just try to use them up as best as I can.

3.  Lipsticks:

No new purchases! Victory!  Oh wait.  Minor slip up, I wanted to try out a new AVON lip stain.  I really like them.  I purchased in the shade

4.  L'OREAL Infalliables and 5.  Maybelline Color Tattoos:

No new purchases!  In this category, since I have so many, I can't say I would be able to finish any one but Bad to the Bronze looks like a good contender to hit pan on by the end of the year.

6.  Palettes: 

Hmm, slipped a little here...  I picked up the Too Faced Chocolate Bar.  Amazing HSN sale will justify any purchase in the moment.  I grabbed Lorac Pro To go, the new 12 pan Maybelline The Nudes palette, and the limited edition WnW 8 pan in Walking the Red Carpet.  Oops, oops and oops.

7.  Powders:

No new purchases!  I need to finish up 2-3 by the end of the year.  I'm looking at NARS Reflecting Setting Powder, a sample of Makeup Forever Hi-def Powder, Physicians Formula Powder Palette in Creamy Natural and Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Finishing Powder in Nude.  More details on that later though!

8.  Mascara: 

I've used up a few of my samples.  I bought a waterproof L'OREAL Lash Out Butterfly over vacation and I'm loving it!  I also couponed for an Almay that I just found in my eyeliner drawer so I will bust that one out.  So far so good!

9.  Blush:

No new purchases.  Yes!  I still want more Milani...  Just waiting for that super sale.

10.  Bronzers/11.  Highlighters

No new purchases!  And I just hit slight pan on my Sonia Kashuk Undetectable Cream Bronzer in Warm Tan.  I will move that to the "Finish by the end of 2014 Pile."

12.  Foundations/ 13. BB creams

I've finished a couple in the category and discarded a few old ones.  My foundation drawer is still bursting.  (Hangs head in shame.) Newly acquired as of July 2014:

Foundations:

Discarded 1 (3 more as well soon for various reasons), finished 1, acquired 6. (if you are doing the math it's only +1!)

1. CoverGirl Ready, Set, Gorgeous in 115 Buff Beige.  Absolutely love it and wore it everyday on vacation.  Super easy slap on and go product.
2. L'OREAL True Match Lumi in W3, Nude Beige.  40% off Rite Aid sale and a coupon, so I caved.  I want to love this foundation for some reason.  This is the 3rd shade I have tried (N1-2, W1-2 were the 2 others).  The color looks off when I initially put it on but when I look at my face an hour later it looks amazing, 2 hours later, shine bomb.  I mix it with Covergirl Outlast and it is a perfect combination.
3.&4. Maybelline Dream Wonder Fluid-Touch Foundation in (of course I need 2 shades) 20 Classic Ivory and 40 Nude.  I haven't tried them yet.  I had to grab these quick during a shopping trip to Wegmans over vacation along with The Nudes palette.  Total vacation/new display purchase.

This is getting ugly... but the next two were, gulp, gifts?

5.&6.  Bourjois Healthy Mix in 52 Vanilla (winter shade) 53 Beige Clair (hopefully my summer shade).  I just received these in the mail from a friend who was visiting the UK.  Since I actually finished up a Healthy Mix earlier this year, I needed a replacement for pretty much my all time favorite foundation

BB/CC Cream:

Discarded 2 due to separate skin reactions, returned 1, finished 1, acquired 1.

1. Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream in light/medium.

Eek!  I know, it's a bad, bad foundation hoarding situation.  I will forever be looking for that perfect base but stick a folk in me, I'm done for the year.

Technically speaking I have a mix of winter and summer shades as well as a transition/fall shade.

Summer:
L'OREAL Lumi in W-3
Bourjois Healthy Mix in 53
Maybelline Dream Wonder Fluid-Touch in 40

Winter:
Bourjois Healthy Mix in 52
Maybelline Dream Wonder Fluid-Touch in 20

Transition/Fall:
CoverGirl Ready, Set, Gorgeous in 115 Buff Beige

Breakout/treatment:
Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream in light/medium since it contains Salicylic Acid.  Totally necessary. 

So it doesn't look that bad now that I broke it down for specific use, right?  :)

14. Primers:

I've finished up a couple samples but still have a few more to go.  Primers are something I use infrequently now that it is summer and all I'm doing is chasing kids around and running.  But I've purchased Rimmel Stay Matte Primer which I absolutely love and NYX Angel Veil which I haven't officially tried yet but feels a lot like Hourglass.  I still have half a bottle or so of L'OREAL Revitalift Miracle Blur which I use around my eyes which I think that they have a specific Miracle Blur for that now and I have a sample of Clarins Instant Smooth that is thick and heavy but good at smoothing over pores. 

 So here is everything, 6 months into 2014.  Not too bad right?  The foundation situation is a little cray cray.   But if you re-read my explanation above, it makes total sense.  Oh and I just remembered that my mom bought me the L'OREAL Lashout Butterfly mascara in waterproof and the NYX Angel Primer when I took her to Ulta for the first time over vacation.  Thank you mom!

Palettes wise, I'm good, forever.

I'm still pulling together a few (it is going to be a lot) products that I want to realistically finish by the end of 2014 to keep my makeup and skincare collection in a healthy rotation so that old products/products on the way to expiration are being used.

I'm glad I did this midyear check in.  Hopefully it will help me stay focused!!!  I have a wish list a mile long but waste not, want not!

What have been your makeup splurges this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment